How has your month been? August has been mixed. On the one hand, the weather perked up and we had a mostly wonderful trip up north to see Peter’s family. On the other, we had some health scares and there was an ambulance involved. I don’t really want to go into details here, but let’s just say everyone is doing well now, so the month has definitely ended on a good note!
Other things making me cheery this month…
- I’ve read a fair few books, all of which I’ve absolutely loved.
- I finished The Boy on the Bridge, which was set in the same world as The Girl With All The Gifts. If you haven’t read either, I really suggest you do so – they are brilliantly creepy with wonderful characters.
- I read The Underground Railroad, and completely understand why it’s won so many awards. Very upsetting, but gripping too.
- Little Black Book was a great little gift from a friend at 4th Estate Books, all about how to kick ass in the workplace. I wish I’d had it when I was starting out in my career!
- The Book of Emma Reyes was a wonderful memoir that I really think everyone I know should read. I just thought it was so well written and her life was so incredible – I was desperate to read more by the end..
- I’ve actually started up an instagram account just to share the books I and my kids have been reading. I’d love to have more book lovers on there, so please give me a follow!
- How to raise a feminist son – loved this shared by Mel Wiggins in her newsletter, which I LOVE
- Speaking of Mel Wiggins, I’m taking her Eco Family Living course when it starts later on this week – really chimes with all the things I’ve been thinking about lately
- This post is really negative about the couple who run their house like an office but I read it and was like “THIS SOUNDS AMAZING” – think rotas and trello might be in our future…
- Can we retire the wine mom phenomenon? I SO agree with this. I LOVE people like Hurrah for Gin and the Unmumsy Mum, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t like the idea that every mum is desperate for a glass of wine at the end of the day and can’t get through without one. My kids are challenging, sure, but they’ve not driven me to drink too often (yet)
- There was a big article about food sustainability in the Guardian recently, featuring OddBox, who we get our veg box from! We’ve only had a couple of boxes from them (we get one every other week), but so far I’ve been seriously impressed by the fruit and veg we’ve had delivered.
- I had a weaning party (totally not a thing, just an excuse to have some friends round for a cuppa). I’ll write more about this soon, but just wanted to mention how much fun it was, and if you have a baby that is going to be weaning soon, I highly recommend it! I got some pouches of Babease baby food (my friend works there so I might be biased, but really think their stuff is incredible – the ingredients lists are so wholesome!), baked some muffins, cut up some fruit and veg, and away we went!
That’s it for this month. What have you been reading and doing lately?