Love love love list: August 2017

Things I loved this month - books, articles and more - August 2017

Things I loved this month - books, articles and more - August 2017

How has your month been? August has been mixed. On the one hand, the weather perked up and we had a mostly wonderful trip up north to see Peter’s family. On the other, we had some health scares and there was an ambulance involved. I don’t really want to go into details here, but let’s just say everyone is doing well now, so the month has definitely ended on a good note!

Other things making me cheery this month…

• I’ve read a fair few books, all of which I’ve absolutely loved.
    • I finished The Boy on the Bridge, which was set in the same world as The Girl With All The Gifts. If you haven’t read either, I really suggest you do so – they are brilliantly creepy with wonderful characters.
    • I read The Underground Railroad, and completely understand why it’s won so many awards. Very upsetting, but gripping too.
    • Little Black Book was a great little gift from a friend at 4th Estate Books, all about how to kick ass in the workplace. I wish I’d had it when I was starting out in my career!
    • The Book of Emma Reyes was a wonderful memoir that I really think everyone I know should read. I just thought it was so well written and her life was so incredible – I was desperate to read more by the end..
  • I’ve actually started up an instagram account just to share the books I and my kids have been reading. I’d love to have more book lovers on there, so please give me a follow!
  • How to raise a feminist son – loved this shared by Mel Wiggins in her newsletter, which I LOVE
  • Speaking of Mel Wiggins, I’m taking her Eco Family Living course when it starts later on this week – really chimes with all the things I’ve been thinking about lately
  • This post is really negative about the couple who run their house like an office but I read it and was like “THIS SOUNDS AMAZING” – think rotas and trello might be in our future…
  • Can we retire the wine mom phenomenon? I SO agree with this. I LOVE people like Hurrah for Gin and the Unmumsy Mum, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t like the idea that every mum is desperate for a glass of wine at the end of the day and can’t get through without one. My kids are challenging, sure, but they’ve not driven me to drink too often (yet)
  • There was a big article about food sustainability in the Guardian recently, featuring OddBox, who we get our veg box from! We’ve only had a couple of boxes from them (we get one every other week), but so far I’ve been seriously impressed by the fruit and veg we’ve had delivered.
  • I had a weaning party (totally not a thing, just an excuse to have some friends round for a cuppa). I’ll write more about this soon, but just wanted to mention how much fun it was, and if you have a baby that is going to be weaning soon, I highly recommend it! I got some pouches of Babease baby food (my friend works there so I might be biased, but really think their stuff is incredible – the ingredients lists are so wholesome!), baked some muffins, cut up some fruit and veg, and away we went!

That’s it for this month. What have you been reading and doing lately?

Share on
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

14 Comments

• Reply Catherine

Reading: We’re All Completely Beside Ourselves (again), Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert (again), Small Great Things, French Kids Don’t Throw Food, How Eskimos Keep Their Baby Warm (lots of reading!) and currently Alexandra Schulman’s diary of her final year at Vogue. Not very good…but easy to dip in and out and nod off to…!

Doing: Commandeering all of your newborn stuff 😉

August 29, 2017 at 8:28 am
    • Reply BeNourishd

Definitely thinking of reading French Kids.. after your recommendation. Theo doesn’t throw food, but he is ridiculously picky!

August 29, 2017 at 9:09 am
  • Reply Ruth Garner

Oo August sounds like a (mostly!) good month for you guys – hurrah! We’ve been mainly moving bedrooms and it is AMAZING. So so loving having our space back again, and now hopefully I can get back into reading before bedtime – something I used to love to do. Another huge vote for Trello too – I am so on board with getting our home more organised and I love love Trello! x

August 29, 2017 at 2:34 pm
    • Reply BeNourishd

So glad she’s taken to the move well! Not tiptoeing around at bedtime is the best!

August 29, 2017 at 3:04 pm
  • Reply Jayne (@SMABLblog)

We’ve been in the garden wherever possible. Unfortunately August has been more of a late autumn month than a mid summer month for us on the weather front.
    (hubby helping out)

August 29, 2017 at 5:59 pm
  • Reply Sarah | A Few Favourite Things

I really need to get back into the habit of reading more. I have just liked your new IG account in the hope it will inspire me.

August 30, 2017 at 10:09 am
  • Reply Elizabeth

I’ve been reading loads this month. I seem to have rekindled my love of books, so I’ve read The Power (fab!), I Am Pilgrim (a fantastic gripping thriller), The Handmaid’s Tale (loved the story but didn’t care for the writing style) and now I’ve picked up the second book in the Outlander series where I left off this time last year (page 384!). My husband brought me The Underground Railway back from a trip south recently, so that’s next on my list.

August 30, 2017 at 10:49 am
    • Reply BeNourishd

That’s great! The Power is big on my list!

August 30, 2017 at 12:00 pm
  • Reply Newcastle Family Life

I have never heard of a weaning party before, sounds interesting x

August 30, 2017 at 2:53 pm
  • Reply Musings of a tired mummy...zzz...

I’m interested in your insta account all about books: great idea! Will head over and check it out 🙂

August 31, 2017 at 9:27 am
  • Reply BloggerMummyLauren

Whatever the health scare was, I hope all is well now. Other than that, it sounds like you’ve had a good month. Unfortunately the weather has been a bit rubbish here, so August hasn’t been the best month of the summer for us, but it’s been OK.

September 1, 2017 at 10:40 am
  • Reply Dee

I’ve heard such great things about The Underground Railroad, and the others sound like great picks too! I’ve been terrible with reading lately, but hoping that the colder weather will motivate me to pick up more books.

September 1, 2017 at 8:08 pm
    • Reply BeNourishd

Use it as an excuse to get under your duvet a bit early!

September 1, 2017 at 8:39 pm