Photo above, from some gazpacho Peter made last weekend, using this recipe. It was so good, and I’ve been enjoying it for lunch throughout the week as well. I love the photos I took on my phone so much more than the ones I took last year, that I’ve updated the original blog post with them! Finally another old recipe updated with new photography…
This week I came to a somewhat stunning realisation. I think, for the first time possibly in my adult life, I feel free of stress. That’s not to say I’m not anxious – I think all new mums have a fairly low level anxiety humming about at all times. And that’s not to say that there aren’t specific things that I am worried about, but I don’t feel that kind of nervous, stressed out energy that I had while I was working. And I think it’s only just gone away – the last book I worked on has finally been published, and it’s like a little weight has lifted from my shoulders. I know it’s not for much longer, as I go back in November, but I’m going to enjoy it while it lasts!
After Blogtacular, I’ve been thinking a bit about how I can collaborate with my fellow bloggers, to do something that highlights some of the great bloggers out there and still fits in with my goals for this site. And I think I’ve come up with something fun. Each month, I’d like to feature a blogger and their favourite recipe. They can tell me a bit about it and why they love it, and then I’ll share their recipe, and cook and photograph it. If they don’t have a recipe, but have a favourite food, I’ll research the ingredients and do some recipe testing. Excitingly, I’ve already got a few people on board, so as soon as I sort myself out, I’ll start working on them. Watch this space.
Want to take part? Drop me an email with a few lines about your favourite recipe and your blog.
Next week there won’t be any posts, as I’ll be in Norfolk with my in-laws, which I am super excited about. My sister-in-law is pregnant so I can’t wait to rub her pregnant belly and reminisce about when Theo was still inside me. You can keep up with me on Instagram, if you want to (and you know you want to!)
Also on my mind this week…
- I finished and loved Somewhere Only We Know. Full disclosure, if I wasn’t on maternity leave, I would have worked on the marketing for this, so I’m probably biased, but I really wanted to read it as I loved her first book. Erin has such a nice voice, and as with her first, I just completely fell for the characters. It’s a boy-meets-girl book, and just made me happy.
- I’ve been reading The Bone Tree, the follow-up to Greg Iles’ epic Natchez Burning. It’s a very weighty tome, but actually a pretty quick read, given its size! Sadly it’s too heavy to take on holiday, so it’ll be the Kindle for me next week! I’m reading The Bees, which I’ve heard a lot of good things about.
- I’ve signed up to Yummly, after reading Charlotte’s Lively Kitchen blog about it. I’ve tested out one recipe using it, and think it looks great. I’m going to trial the plugin for a couple of weeks, and see if it makes any difference to traffic. If it does, it’s quite a cool little tool to use going forward! Regardless of whether I end up using the plugin, the website is really neat. You can find my profile right here.
- Speaking of going forward, things I don’t miss saying/have people say around me now that I’m on maternity leave…
- I FINALLY finished putting together our 2014 album. I’ve been putting it off thinking it would take forever, but actually it just took a couple of evenings of pouring over old photos. This will be the fourth year we’ve done an album through Blurb. I love how well they come out – can’t wait for this one to arrive!
- These explanations about what makes a ‘cheeky nandos’ made me lol